Dermaplaning is a popular skincare treatment that gently scrapes the skin’s surface to remove dead skin cells and fine facial hairs (or peach fuzz).
This non-invasive procedure leaves the skin looking brighter, smoother and rejuvenated. However, following proper post-treatment care is essential to ensure you get the best results and maintain the benefits of your dermaplaning treatment.
Keep reading to explore some essential tips to help you achieve optimal results and enjoy the full benefits of dermaplaning.
Before we dive into post-dermaplaning care, let’s briefly discuss what dermaplaning really is. During a dermaplaning treatment, a trained skincare professional uses a sterile scalpel to exfoliate the top layer of your skin gently.
This process not only removes dead skin cells but also eliminates fine facial hairs, leaving your skin looking smoother and more radiant.
Post-Dermaplaning Care Tips
For optimal results, it is best to follow these after-treatment tips:
- Sun Protection. Immediately after dermaplaning, your skin may be more susceptible to the sun’s harmful UV rays. It’s crucial to apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher to protect your newly exposed skin. Sunscreen helps prevent sun damage, dark spots, and premature aging.
- Avoid Harsh Products. In the days following your dermaplaning treatment, steer clear of harsh skincare products that contain ingredients like retinoids, alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs), and beta hydroxy acids (BHAs). These products can be too abrasive for your freshly exfoliated skin.
- Hydrate and Moisturize. Hydration is key to maintaining healthy, glowing skin. Use a gentle, hydrating moisturizer to replenish moisture and support the skin’s barrier function. Hydrated skin looks more radiant and youthful.
- Avoid Excessive Exfoliation. Dermaplaning already provides a thorough exfoliation, so there’s no need for additional exfoliating products immediately after the treatment. Over-exfoliating can irritate the skin and lead to sensitivity.
- Hands Off. Resist the temptation to touch or pick at your skin after dermaplaning. Your skin may be more sensitive, and touching it with dirty hands can lead to breakouts and infections.
- Makeup and Skincare Products. Wait at least 24 hours before applying makeup or using skincare products, especially those containing active ingredients. This gives your skin time to heal and reduces the risk of irritation.
- Stay Hydrated. Drinking plenty of water helps keep your skin hydrated from the inside out. Aim for at least eight glasses of water a day to support your skin’s health and radiance.
- Follow Professional Advice. Your skincare provider will give you specific instructions for post-dermaplaning care. It’s essential to follow their guidance for the best results and to minimize any potential side effects.
Ready to experience the benefits of dermaplaning and maintain your glowing results? Our mission here at Luminare Aesthetics & Wellness in Blue Springs and Liberty, MO, is to help you achieve your skincare goals and enjoy healthier, more radiant skin. Don’t wait because your journey to smoother, brighter skin begins here.
Contact us today to schedule your dermaplaning treatment and receive expert guidance on post-treatment care!