People who are looking to lose weight and get rid of stubborn fat deposits often use the terms ‘weight loss’ and ‘fat loss’ interchangeably.
While the two terms might be related, they’re not exactly the same and differ significantly in terms of what you need to do to accomplish them. Therefore, determining what you actually need is the first step towards achieving your #body goals.
Read on to know more about the difference between them -and how you can address each one better.
What Is The Difference Between Weight Loss And Fat Loss?
Weight loss can be defined as the overall decrease in body weight due to the loss of stored carbs, protein, water, and fats.
Meanwhile, fat loss refers solely to the reduction or elimination of stubborn fat deposits, which don’t always respond to diets or working out.
While they are similar (and are often related) goals, they do require different approaches.
How Can I Lose Weight?
Losing weight might feel like a daunting task, but certain habits can help speed up the process:
- Eating a healthy diet and avoiding the three S’s – salt, sugar, and saturated fats
- Drinking lots of water
- Replacing processed food with healthy fats (i.e. vegetable oils, nuts, and seeds)
- Consuming fat-burning drinks such as unsweetened green tea, coffee, or water with apple cider vinegar
- Engaging in at least 30 minutes of physical activity daily
- Prescription medications (such as semaglutide, phentermine, liraglutide, or orlistat) from a board-certified medical practitioner, if needed
When trying to lose weight in a healthy way, it’s best to consult a well-trained professional for a customized weight loss plan that is suitable for your body type, goals, and underlying health conditions.
How Can I Get Rid of Stubborn Fat?
Sometimes, despite your best efforts or reaching your target weight, some unwanted fat pockets remain. There are a few things that can specifically help in reducing these, such as:
- Strength training the muscles in the areas where you want to lose fat
- Fat-burning high-intensity interval training or HIIT
- Body sculpting treatments
- Injectables such as Kybella for submental (under-the-chin) fat.
Who Is A Good Candidate For Weight Loss Or Fat Loss?
You might need to lose a few pounds if:
- Your BMI or waist-to-hip ratio is elevated;
- You suffer from shortness of breath even after mild physical activity such as walking up the stairs;
- Your blood pressure or cholesterol level is increasing;
- Your doctor suggests you’re borderline diabetic.
On the other hand, fat loss is ideal for candidates who are within range of their healthy weight since it targets stubborn fats that don’t respond to exercise and healthy diets.
However, it’s always best to get professional advice from board-certified practitioners to determine which approach (and which treatments) are the best options for addressing your unique concerns and meeting your individual body goals. The experts at Luminare Aesthetics and Wellness, Blue Springs, MO have helped countless people achieve their weight and body goals in the most effective and healthiest way possible.
Schedule a consultation now to get started!